Outreach Programmes can contribute to changing attitudes and challenging public perceptions. The purpose of our Outreach Programmes is to encourage debate and the exchange of views and ideas.
Thanks to cinema, Tongues on Fire offers a wide range of events aimed to build bridges and promote a better understanding between communities. Films know no boundaries and our aim is to transcend all boundaries with the help of this unique form of art that makes people think, cry and laugh!
From the beginning, our Festival has always been alongside women: for the first 10 years, Tongues on Fire celebrated women in film, especially making Asian women visible in media and arts. Over the years, we have tried to subvert stereotypes associated with the ‘Asian female’ and we have learnt the dynamism of Asian women working within this sector, be it in front of the camera or behind the scenes never ceases to amaze. In 2011, to commemorate 100 years of International Women’s Day, Tongues on Fire launched the Nargis Dutt lecture, at School of Oriental and African Studies.
TOF passionately believes in working with community groups at grassroot level. We welcome enquiries on how we can work with you to achieve your goals, specifically with reaching the South Asian community. Organisations we have worked with in the past include:
- The Department of Health – A general health and well being awareness programme
- Time To Change – A programme of events to challenge the stigma attached to mental health, including a film screening with the director
- Macmillan Cancer Support – A film club to enable a group to shoot, edit and produce a short film, as a way of offering support through a shared interest
- Sangam Community Group – Joints events for film screenings on key taboo issues
- Jaago Women’s Group – Regular collaborators for film screenings and talks
- Barnados – A domestic violence campaign
- James Cann Foundation – Supported their fund raising work
- Project Mosaic – Young Film Makers Youtube competition
- Islamic & Cultural Society of Harrow – Film screenings